Tuesday, April 17, 2012

No Whining Allowed


 
"No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."
--Jeffrey R. Holland


“I’m just not going to do anymore radio gigs,” I whined to my friend on the phone.
I could hear her giggle on the other end, which only frustrated me more.
I was serious. I loved doing radio, but that particular morning the reviews had been exceptionally harsh.
“I would love for the naysayers to attempt to read energy hundreds of miles away, connect to their past loved ones and guides in just a few seconds, and formulate positive advice. It is a bit like a dentist having several people with their mouths open and the dentist standing over a hundred feet away with a microscope and making a diagnosis. It isn’t easy, but I love the challenge and I love talking to people. Are you even listening to me?”
“Uh huh. Dentist. Microscope. Energy.”
“Grr,” I said and rolled my eyes, clicking off the computer. Kay had heard me complain and whine for years.  If I had a client who was exceptionally difficult, I cried to her. If I had a client who touched me to tears, I cried to her. I never gave away privileged information from the sessions, I believe in confidentiality, but she was my sounding board and for that I was eternally grateful. She became my friend after being one of my clients herself. I was mentored from the beginning of doing sessions to not get too close to my clients, and to not befriend them, but there are some rules that I think are made for breaking and this was one of them. “But I don’t like anybody thinking less of me, you know?”
“Kristy, you are in a business that will always be scrutinized. I know that your nature isn’t to have armor on, but in situations like this, you either let it roll off your shoulders, stop reading reviews or…”
“Sorry, Kay – hold that thought. My other line keeps ringing.”
With the way my morning started off, the last thing I wanted to do was answer my phone. I had every intention of letting it go to voicemail, but the same number had buzzed in over five times and the persistance, while it was agitating me even more as I wasn’t done whining my point at Kay, I thought I better see what the emergency was.
“This is Kristy, can I help you?” I answered with a sigh.
“Is this Kristy, the one on the radio?” A young voice answered back.
“Yes, how can I help you?” I repeated, wondering if perhaps one of the naysayers was going to start calling me.
“Umm…I heard you on the radio and thought maybe you could help me,” the girl said, and broke down into sobs.
I forgot all about Kay on the other line and immediately went into intuitive mode.
“Want to talk about it?” I asked, gently.
For the next half an hour, the fifteen year old confessed to me her troubles. She told me that she had pretended to be sick to stay home from school, with intensions of killing herself. My heart skipped a few beats and I started to tear up. I quietly grabbed my husband from his office, gave him a note with the circumstances on it, a phone number of the young girl’s mom to call immediately and I simply stayed on the phone until her mom got home. We talked about how she felt alone and how she didn’t have any friends. She said that she had turned on the radio as she was contemplating how to end her life when my segment came on. When she couldn’t get through, she said she felt abandoned again, but she took a chance on contacting me afterwards.
I certainly was glad that she did.
Her mom came home and immediately took her to get assistance. Since that day, I have talked to them several times and they are all getting help.
My Guides sure schooled me that day for my griping over something so petty, and put life in perspective for me in a big way. I am so grateful that I was in the right place at the right time, and I thank the radio station for having faith in me and having me on in the first place. My life wasn’t bad. My kids were healthy and happy. Sure, we’ve had our ups and downs (haven’t we all?), but the negativity of one little situation enveloped me for an hour of my life. An hour too long.
So when you are upset over something, or you are feeling like the world has gotten you down, know that the situation is there to learn from. Often times the situation has greater expectations and bigger motives than originally thought. And as you can see, I am not perfect (darn it!) and I sometimes allow myself to get only see the clouds in front, forgetting that the rainbows are all around. It can take time, or action to see through the denseness of the uck, and I know that it takes work. My mom used to say, "Someone else always has is worse than us." So, ask yourself when you are in that situation if life is really that bad, or if you are putting on the tiara and being a Drama Queen (or King). And when all else fails, I can lease out Kay to you, I am sure she wouldn’t mind. 
Believe,
Kristy Robinett

4 comments:

  1. I wish there was a way to get some of the people I know to understand this! Thank you for the Awesome reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got goosebumps as I read your wonderful post. It is amazing that so many things had to fall into place to keep the story from ending tragically. What if you were having a great morning and decided to go for a walk? What if she hadn't been so persistent and stopped after the 4th attempt to call you? What if your husband hadn't been home to reach her mother? Too many "what if's" to ignore. You are blessed to have a friend like Kay. And please don't stop the radio shows - that's how a lot of us have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that young girl called, and that you answered. In doing so, those parents still have their little girl.

    Things were put into perspective for me too, yesterday. For over a week now I've been so worried and obsessed over dental work I need done, and then yesterday - just 8 minutes away from my house - a mother was shot dead outside her pediatrician's office. The baby was only 3 days old, and was kidnapped. Thankfully, the Texas Rangers found the baby last night. He was safe and unharmed.

    It's a scary world we live in, and it's a shame that it's always instances such as these which puts things into perspective so quickly. That was a very poignant post you made. Thanks to that girl reaching out, and you helping her and contacting her parents... things in her life can move forward now.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing story Kristy. You have positively touched so many lives! And you are correct- often I have to give myself a kick in the butt an a reminder to retire my tiara ;)

    ReplyDelete