Monday, February 20, 2012

Hot Passion

The Making of A Bead...

Hot passion.
I'll bet you thought this post was going to be about something other than art, didn't ya? It's okay. You can admit it; we're all friends here ;)

Making glass beads is one of those things that I truly enjoy, one of my passions. My art. Keeping in line with all the magical discussions I can tell you that recently it was explained to my by my guides not to worry if my life is not dripping with the typical "magic." I don't wiggle my nose and *poof* dinner is made {I wish!} I don't often see spirits or hear voices. I was told to remember that creation is magic. Creation, for me, is *my* magic and manifestation. Something for me to keep in mind when I fear my life is becoming all too, you know, normal! I am at my best, at my most magical, when I am using the gifts God blessed me with to create.

And to share this creations with all of you I whipped out my handy dandy {huge} wonderful Canon 7D and took some shots along the way while I was making a bead a few months ago. Keep in mind one hand was trying to hold flaming hot glass {think about 950 degrees flaming!} and the other was balancing a full-size DSLR camera- in short the pics are not amazing but they'll suffice.

First- an introduction to my work area. Lots of glass, my safety glasses, the all-important torch... and an empty plastic container of chocolates lurking in the background- a waiting vessel in which new glass will soon be organized.

I, er, dumped out the chocolates so I could use the container... um, yeah.

*nom nom nom*

Photobucket

The particular bead in these pictures was made special for a friend. It's what I refer to as a "Blue Bead." The base is made with transparent cobalt blue glass; what you see here is me holding a "mandrel." Made of stainless steel {so it doesn't conduct heat!} it's been dipped in a substance that is similar to mud. "Bead release," it coats the stainless steel so the hot glass does not permanently adhere to the mandrel. It allows the bead to release once it's all finished. This little "X-Wing Fighter" is a specific way I add melted glass to the mandrel- this weirdness will melt down to a roundish ball.

Photobucket

The roundish ball. **Warning** Do not indulge in a double espresso shot grande mocha from Starbucks before melting glass! A steady hand is a necessity!

Photobucket

I then covered the cobalt blue glass with silver foil. Looks similar to tin foil but much thinner- and made of 99.9% sterling silver. Not something you're gonna want to wrap a sandwich in, that's for sure! The foil is "pushed" onto the bead with a tool {not my fingers- one learns not to touch glass at 950 degrees after a few "hot damn!" moments} and then covered with clear glass.

Photobucket

I melted the clear glass down over the silver and used a pointed tool to move and manipulate the molten glass around on the bead. This worked to swirl the silver around, kinda making it look similar to waves on the ocean.

Photobucket

This warm soft glob of glass was then rolled in small pieces of crushed glass, called "frit." The frit is melted into the base bead and the entire glob is covered in a thick layer of clear glass.

Photobucket

This layer of clear glass is carefully melted flat so it is spread evenly over the entire base. The clear serves to magnify all the fun stuff underneath, adding depth and dimension to the bead. This is known as "encasing." Most of my beads are encased with clear because I just love the final effect. This is what it looks like when the clear glass is only partially melted smooth:

Photobucket

Almost done...

Photobucket

Viola! Close up shot of the clear glass melted even and flat over the bead.

Photobucket

From here this bead is quickly transferred hot to the kiln where it is annealed for a few hours. After annealing it is removed from the mandrel and that mud-like bead release is reamed out of the hole- drilled out with my handy dandy Dremel rotary tool using a long skinny diamond drill bit. I forgot to take a final picture of this bead after I cleaned it and before I gave it away but I've made many of these "Blue Beads" and here is one very similar that I made for myself:

Photobucket

That metallic gold is the silver foil that was "trapped" under the clear glass; chemically the silver and clear combines to make gold. I love this bead and wear it often; my tiny treasure.

~Jennifer

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the process, I'd never guess that much work goes into one little bead! I also love to "create", but for me it's turning fabric into fashion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would love to see some of your work! I totally admire those who know how to sew and want to know more about it myself! And yes, it takes a lot to make one little bead but it's relaxing at the torch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only recently started making jewelry, and would LOVE to do this... only I'm petrified of burning myself. You're far braver than I. :p (Besides, I have a feeling making beads can be addictive. They're so pretty).

    The colors in that bead are so serene. I've always been a fan of blue and green.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kristin making jewelry is so fun and addictive, isn't it? I was terrified of burning myself at first too but once you experience the exhilaration of melting glass you forget to be afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, you know I am a fan of your work, but really seeing it in action is so special! Every bead you create is truly a work of art. And, magical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen - You are so incredibly gifted. I have the pendulum you made in my office and people compliment me on it all the time (and then I get to brag I know the artist). I love seeing the process, which only solidifies how gifted you are, because no way could I do that. It's a lack of patience thang.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so very beautiful. I had not idea that so much work went into this tiny bead. You have a lovely gift

    ReplyDelete